it wasn't the best outcome, but i was able to assist and take lots of good pics of the surgery
patient: pregnant pygmy goat
presenting complaint: dystocia (difficult birthing)
procedure performed: caesarian section
pic 1 - here she is, all drugged up and happy

pic 2 - the surgery setting, the senior student (Bret McNabb is cutting, Dr. Gohary, in mask, is watching right beside him)

pic 3 - the first cut through the skin, note that the surgical field is completely sterile

pic 4 - cutting through the subcutaneous (fat) and muscle layers

pic 5 - exteriorizing (pulling it outside the abdomen) the uterus to prevent internal contamination

pic 6 - something is very wrong with the uterus, it should be nice and pink, not brown and tan

pic 7 - cutting through the layers of the uterus

pic 8 - pulling out the dead "kid", it was very stinky and necrotic

pic 9 - the uterus is in bad shape, with a big hole (just past the thumb) in it from the pressure of the fetus, her whole abdomen was full of nasty brown fluid, not good news for the mother

pic 10 - the prognosis for this mother is very grave as we close up the uterus the owners elect to euthanize (put down) the goat
so, a very interesting case, with a not so happy ending, but we tried and that's what countsif you have any questions about the surgery, post a comment
these are the kinds of things that happen every day here at davis and when i'm a senior, i get the scalpel!!!!
cheers,
myronius

8 comments:
sick pictures... but interesting too... ! :)
Wow, I think my stomach went into my throat. But I totally dig that about you, that you have such a passion for medicine. :)
Wow, those are neat pictures. I kind of wish I could have been there. It must be the scientist/teacher mentallity (sp?) in me.
Hey, this does look like a sterile environment, and it almost could be mistaken for a human surgury...almost. It is not everyday that you see a doctor in the O.R. with shitkickers on (the girl in the background in the people pic). I love the pictures, and am not sicked by the blood, but what gets to me is when you talk about the smell.
Hey, good job working a "u2" song title into your post...
myron,
you can deliver my kids anytime.....oh wait.....that came out wrong.
It's like an episode of Grey's Anatomy! Only it's real. And with animals. That are dead.
Remember when we were in Psychology together? And Mahaffy would heckle the students before class? I'm in another class in that same room, in the same seat, only I'm the senior. Bizarre.
Hope SoCal is treating you well! I hear you know Dan Altena! His family totally goes to my church, and I'm friends with his sisters Hannah and Anne Michelle.
Impressive photography and narration :) It reminds me of the first time I translated in the O.R. for a c-section. I knew the woman well, and that made it difficult to watch. However, molar-extraction dentist visits and toenail removal were the things that almost made me pass out. Crazy how we all tick differently.
Praise God for anesthesia. I decided that I will do everything in my power to avoid a c-section when I am pregnant someday.
Post a Comment